Monday, July 09, 2007

Sunday Sweet Tooth....on Monday :0









This is a day late because I was on my laziness yesterday. I was emailing contacts all day for Cover Your Lover stuff for World AIDS day and before I knew it I was boring myself watching The Good Sheppard. Atleast it had Matt Damon in it and a few other cute pale boys.

Anyway, I have four recommendations that are all slightly different - hope you find one that sticks to you.

DJ Shurikan, Genre: House, Electronic

Okay, let me keep it real. I put this in here because he is fine as hell (white boy with blue eyes above). I mean..damn..I mean...wow! Could you imagine if I heard his accent? *faint* Okay, so off to his music. My favorite that I've heard was his tribute to J-Dilla, which is on his myspace page. What I dig about it is the groove and the mellow vibe about it. If you don't find yourself nodding your head just a bit, then you might want to check your pulse. Some producers and beat makers may not think it's all that..but I'm not either, so I do. Go add him as your friend and listen here:
www.myspace.com/shurikan



Album: In My Element, Robert Glasper, Genre: Jazz

I picked this one immediately after Shurikan because this album also has a tribute to JDilla, that is really, really nice. It's called "JDillalude". It starts off with phone conversation, but then moves into a nice piano number overtop of a freshly laced beat. Other tracks to check out on there are "Y' outta Praise Him" and "F.T.B.". The entire album just feels good. I can throw it on while cooking, cleaning or entertaining. It's very chilled, but not boring and puts the instrumentation back in jazz...that piano..that piano..you must hear:
www.myspace.com/therealrobertglasper



Elizabeth Shepherd Trio, Genre: Jazz

I was on a jazz kick this week really, and I'm so happy my dear friend in Germany (Hi Karen) put me on to Elizabeth Shepherd. She is out of Canada and I think her voice is unique, sweet and rare for a female jazz singer. I mean, not like extraordinary, but something about her manipulating notes and words makes me a fan. I currently am really diggin' the "Just Gettin' By" remix (I love how the progression of the beat sound gives it a dance feel), and "Midnight Sun" (very light, innocent and when the chorus picks up - stellar), and "Four", but that is because of the dancing. I'd love to see her live and I will. By chance, I'll be in Canada the weekend she is performing...lovely. I can't wait. Check her here:
www.myspace.com/elizabethshepherd
and the video for "Four" here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZYpNi9nTW4



Song: Steppin', Reel People, Genre: Soul/Hip-Hop

As I typed that I thought to myself what classifies soul as soul and not R&B and when did soul become a genre? Anyway...I got this passed on through an Italian friend (Costa Grande) - so Gratzi..wait, is that how you say thank you in Italian? I am so off course. I really love this song. It gripped me immediately, with the exception of the rap which sounds kind of out of place and I can't place who the MC is, but anyway...Vanessa Freeman chill relaxed singing on this track combined with the subtle breaks does it for me. Plus the positive message came at a time where I needed it. I think that this song serves as a motivation and the end of the track has a very smooth ending. I just really dig it, and hopefully you will too:
www.myspace.com/reelpeople



Now off to that heat. Please leave comments and stuff!



Much love, DD

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

DeeEEeesh! It's Costa Grande here!
At last I had the time to check your blog but... actually this is one of the very first post i'm reading, cause I was captured by "Reel People"... and of course by my nick-name! It was so kind of you naming me: thank you!!!

I came to know RPeople through their house-like songs and mixes, but when I bought their album I noticed they explored the "whitest" and "blackest" sides of soul. And they treat everything with such a grace... Lov'em!

I promise I'll read the rest and comment where possible.
Kisses,
Nicolò aka Costa Grande.

P.S.: I do something close to DJing in the Jamiroquai italian fan site... If you subscribe and click on "radio" on the home-page, you can hear songs selected by me. I change the playlist about every 10 days. I'd be honoured if you checked it!
P.P.S.: - italian lesson: ringraziamenti (thankyous) -
italian for "thank you" is "grazie", though you must mind the fact that in italian the "i" and the "e" are pronounced separately, whereas english people tend to read it as an english word, thus "grazi". That's why you thought it was "gratzi"!
Then I'll answer "prego" ("you're welcome").
- end of lesson -
;-)