Friday, June 08, 2007

**Introducing...my new blog feature**




*okay, so I had this name for my new venture and umm...as I started to type, I realized I didn't like it, so give me a second (week or so) to figure out a new name*


Simply put, I love music. Everyone does, right? No...I really do. I seek out new music often, and sometimes I am late at discovering what is popular, and this is not on purpose. I don't get the radio at home or at work. So, in addition to me posting about my writings each week, or bi-weekly, I am going to post up singles and albums I am feeling for the week or bi-weekly. Some may be old and some may be new, but I am doing this in an attempt to expose people (if anyone reads this) to some new tunes and to improve my writing - give me another outlet of expression of sorts. I have no idea if anyone will read this, but it's fun. I will still do my regular reviews, interviews and writings, but this is just something extra that I can be do freely without editors. It will also help keep my mind off of some other things that bring me down...you dig? Enjoy!


Single: "Stronger" by Myron Butler & Levi, Genre: Gospel

I discovered this song through the death of Hi-Five lead singer, Tony Thompson...which was this week. RIP. I was cruising around My Space in boredom. I was on his My Space page and clicked on his girlfriend's My Space. I have no clue why. But, she is a Gospel singer and had this song as her profile. I immediately put it on mine too. It's very uplifting and upbeat and I needed that this week. It just filled me with hope and love...all that warm stuff. The choir is fantastic and their harmony left me in awe. The lyrics touch me a bit inside. "I'm stronger than I was before. I'm better and smiling so much more." I can do without Myron Butler speaking over it, but I blame Kirk Franklin for that annoying trend. See here to listen: http://www.myspace.com/myronbutlerandlevi


EP: "Love Song" by Sara Bareilles, Genre: Rock, Soul:

She actually first reminded me of a singer I can't stand and that is Sarah McLachlan. But, Ms. Bareilles is so, so, so much better. She is also has that classic beauty about her. But, this is about the music. This is a 3 track CD with "Love Song", "Bottle It Up" (my least favorite), and "Gravity". Her voice is very soft and comforting. In "Love Song" she gets a bit aggressive with her vocals, but it works for the mood and tone she sets. The melody and tempo is catchy. But, the shining star of the EP is "Gravity". You'd put this on to get a good cry out. Well, atleast I did. I first heard of her this week and I'm looking forward to hearing more. I'd like to see her live too, but she is opening for Mika - and I don't do Mika. I think I played "Gravity" about 5 times in a row. It is THAT moving. Check her and the songs out here. Listen to "Gravity" first. The emotion is just amazing: http://www.myspace.com/sarabareilles


Album: "Cinco De MoWo" by Mocean Worker, Genre: Dance, Electronica:

Never heard of dude until someone tipped me off to check it out. Electronica isn't my thing, and I do love dance music, but usually dance music that has a soulful house sound. Everything else reminds me of dancing at a rave (which I only did once) or college days dancing with Ben until the wee hours of the morning. So, anyway..when I got this I was really, really impressed, because my body wanted to move. My favorite track is "Que Bom", which has vocals and a nice Latin flare to it. I don't know if it is the drums or what...but I really dig it. Alana Da Fonseca is the vocalist and she is real smooth and relaxing with it. The instrumentation is a bit sensual. I think I might make this my new myspace profile song. I also dig the jazz element in "Changes" which features trumpet phenom, Herb Albert. Reminds me of a smoky filled night in a jazz club before the non-smoking ban that is...listen here: http://www.giantstep.net/releases/1437


Single: "Eat To Live", Talib Kweli, Genre: Rap

Let me be honest, I haven't been listening to rap much lately (I just recently listened to the whole Lupe Fiasco album...which I love). I don't know why. Well, yes I do. There has just been so much other music out there that I've been lovin' more. But, I got my hands on this song and I am so impressed with Kweli for sounding like he did with Blackstar. I know we aren't supposed to reminisce, blah..blah...blah, but truth is he really went down lyrically in my book after "Quality", well during. The beat on "Eat To Live" is really mellow and so are his rhymes. They carry a heavy message, but it's not preachy or overdone. After hearing this, I'm not getting my hopes up about his full length - "Ear Drum", which is supposed to be out in July (which they will push up, I'm sure), but I have a glimpse of hope that this will be better than the last album. www.myspace.com/talibkweli




1 comment:

flygirrl said...

dope blog deesha! can't wait to get upon some new music!!!!