Sunday, June 24, 2007

*sunday sweet tooth* - 6/24/07 - music recommendations!







How is that for a title? Well for now it is going to stick! I think Sunday is a good day to do this because that is supposed to be my chill day. So, yeah....I know I said I was going to do all European boys this week, but eh....I changed my mind! So, I have 5 recommendations for you this week. I hope you check them out, give me some feedback and enjoy.

Song: 'Just Because' by Conya Doss, Genre: R&B

I think this came out like 2 years ago, so yup...I'm mad late. Conya Doss is the truth. She hails from Cleveland, Ohio, USA. This song was on one of my mixes from the Giant Step trade group. I love them...I really do! Anyway, this mid-tempo song has a light sunshine love vibe to it. The chorus is very simple, "I'm into you just because you make me happy". It's so beautiful and starts off with some birds lightly chirping or something. Not to mention that Ms.Doss is just as beautiful as she wants to be. This song is just very cute and innocent, crush-like. Unfortunately, she took the song down from her My Space, but you can go to her website: http://www.conyadoss.com/ and go to the top and click on the album in the middle, find the song and be patient. I know it's a lot of work, but so worth it...check out her other stuff on her myspace also: www.myspace.com/conyadoss

Album: 'Find the Form' by Ernesto, Genre: Pop, Fusion of Jazz and Soul

I love this album, and the man behind the album, Ernesto. He's a skinny little thing from Sweden. He's so cute with his blonde hair. Cute like I want to put him in my pocket! This album came as a shock to me. I first heard "Closer" and I was sold. Seriously! It's has this subtle sexy vibe to it. Not to fast, not to slow - just right you know? The instrumentation grabbed a hold of me also. The entire album is pretty dope included "Held" and "Sick and Tired" which are my other favorite cuts. I think he can really sing. I heard him on some house style mixes too and was impressed. And, his official site has different charitable links on it. Not only do I like his music, but he is a nice guy - replied to my My Space message...awww! You can hear the album and those mixes here: http://www.myspace.com/jonatanbackelie (shut off the typical MySpace player and scroll down to the other one)

Album: 'Welcome to the Best Years of Your Life' by Ben Westbeech, Genre: ?

I seriously don't know what type of genre to call this album. Ben is a lovely man I discovered through Giles Peterson, who next to God is the best man ever! But, Giles will get proper credit in a future blog. Ben Westbeech is this singer that I just really dig. I heard 2 songs on his My Space and went out and bought his entire album. The two that did it for me were "Get Closer (lovers mix)" and "Hang Around". Truth be told, I couldn't really understand a word of "HA", just the chorus and that was enough for me. The song has these broken beat type sounds throughout the song, and right before the chorus it really is highlighted when he is just kinda adlibing or doing a generic sound over the beat. He actually reminds me a lot of Jamie Lidell. But, I try not to compare, but this sound is so similar. Ben has a soft voice and it's just catchy. Check him out here: www.myspace.com/benwestbeech and here is a You Tube video of 'Hang Around': http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SwBBYFCpgk (the accent helps me love him too - he is so not ugly (as Jessica M. would say)

Album: 'The Daily News' by Donnie, Genre: straight up soul

THIS ALBUM TOOK TOO DAMN LONG TO COME OUT! Okay, now that I got that out of my system - thank God Donnie is back. I have missed him seriously. He needed some time to work things out - cool, I'll forgive him. This is the follow up to 'The Colored Section', which to me easily ranks in the top 10 of soul albums in the last decade. This album isn't as good to be honest, but it's still wonderful! Donnie's voice is so unique and so truthfully genuine. It honestly pierces through me. It stands out also. If you played 5 tracks, his would be the one you'd remember because of his voice. The lead single was the perfect choice. It's called 'If I Were You', and it just feels good and the video has this simple vibe to it. The other tracks I dig on the album are 'Impatient People' and '911'. He also has a collab with Phonte from Little Brother. His albums are very socially driven, so the tracks talk about issues or problems going on in the world. Imagine that...someone having the courage to make almost an entire album about the conscious. I got your back Donnie. Listen here: http://www.giantstep.net/releases/1457/

Song: 'I'll Kill Her' by Soko, Genre: Rock

So, after Donnie I put this...I debated about it, but I really love the song. I don't advocate violence at all! It's a bit crazy, but the French artist, Soko is just so little and cute that it's a shock to see such anger come out of her. And truth be told - many girls think what she's saying..not think of killing someone but the bitter and pissed off feeling that Soko conveys. Also,this is acoustic, which gives it a more tone down feel. I found this through MIA's site. She recommended it and funny thing is I don't even know why I was on MIA's site, I don't like her. Anyway....the words to the actual verses are hilarious and to hear her sing words like 'cinema' and 'kill her' in the French accent is somewhat a draw in...Okay, so it's psychotic, but in some eerie way I really like this song and I commend the girl for writing a song like this. She says, "She stole my future when she took you away". Maybe she made the song for shock value or maybe it's a true story...I don't know. But I bought it on the ITunes the day I heard it! Yep, I sure did! See the video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25AsfkriHQc


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You've got great tastes!!!
Thanks for stopping by our blog spot!!

:)